About The Chequers

The Chequers was built in medieval times at the entrance to the market place and is thought to date back to the late 1500s as a pub, when it was identified by a sign of a blue anchor outside. The name appears to have changed from the 'Anchor' to the Chequers in 1794/5. Next door is the famous Chipping Norton Theatre, whose performances and annual pantomine draw theatre goers from all over the country.